Friday, July 17, 2009

Best trip of 2009! (So far....)








The humpbacks have arrived to Brier Island and we couldn't be happier! Especially after our cruise on July 16th when we experienced humpback behaviour at its very best! The whales announced their presence to us by breaching, not just one whale, but 4, who very breaching simultaneously! We didn't know where to look! Two of the whales who were active for us were Foggy and Peajack. Foggy has been sighted every year since 1987 when she was brought to the Bay of Fundy as a calf by her mom, Bermuda. Peajack has been sighted here since 1995.
We also witnessed a very curious humpback named, I-Beam. He approached the boat and spyhopped, having a look at everyone within!
Also sighted was a North Atlantic Right Whale, Minke whales, Fin whales and Harbor Porpoise.


3 comments:

Danielle said...

WOW Shelley, that's so great! I have to admit that I am jealous...
I'll let you know when EKG makes it over to our side!
Cheers,
Danielle

Edith said...

I am soooo Jealous! Wow what a great trip. Not sure when I'll get down to the island now!.... 2 gals out on maternity and one out sick... No long vacation for me this year. Hope for a few days towards the end of August.
I miss you all.. Hugs to everyone
Edith

Edith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.